Development & Land Use
The cornerstone of the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Chamber of Commerce’s position on development, construction and land use is to maintain and grow a diverse economy by creating jobs and promoting health and prosperity through:
- Support well planned communities with an emphasis on blending development with the natural beauty of the Shenandoah Valley
- Expansion of existing businesses
- Attracting new businesses
- Land use planning to balance agricultural, residential and commercial growth
Cooperation among local governments is important to these objectives.
Comprehensive Land Use Planning
- The Harrisonburg-Rockingham Chamber supports comprehensive land-use plans that blend development with the natural and scenic assets of the Shenandoah Valley and strike a reasonable balance among the needs of our citizens.
- While comprehensive land use planning is encouraged, plans must be flexible and responsive to the dynamic forces that will shape our community today and in the future.
Development Taxes, Fees and Regulations
- The Harrisonburg-Rockingham Chamber supports reasonable and balanced fees, taxation and regulations that reflect actual government costs and avoid driving up the costs for businesses, agriculture and families.
Infill Development, Mixed-Use and Redevelopment
- The Chamber supports the revitalization of suburban and downtown areas through in-fill development, redevelopment and mixed used development. Compatible and supportive transportation networks are an important component of meeting current and future demands for housing , commercial and open space, as well as promoting the health and safety of our citizens.
- The Chamber supports innovative development concepts within appropriate land use designations, (i.e. traditional neighborhood development),which includes parks, schools, public services and shopping within close proximity to people’s homes and which offer a pedestrian-friendly environment.
- The Chamber supports the creation of additional historic districts in order to preserve the character of the community; and encourages historic preservation and re-use of historical buildings where economically feasible and appropriate.
Agricultural and Forested Land Uses
- The Harrisonburg-Rockingham Chamber supports the careful use and management of agricultural and forestal lands, which are vital to our continued economic success and the quality of life in Harrisonburg and Rockingham County.
- The Chamber encourages the use of incentives to preserve open space, working farms and forest lands while protecting property values of its landowners.
- The Chamber opposes regulations and taxes on agricultural and forestry operations that would adversely impact their viability and ability to produce an affordable and safe supply of food and forest products for businesses and families.
- The Harrisonburg-Rockingham Chamber supports clear and uniform statewide building codes that set standards for safe and durable construction that adequately balances costs and benefits.