Governor's Bowl Chamber Challenge
A recent study by Feeding America found that over 1,012,500 Virginians are considered "food insecure." This represents a 54% increase since 2006. A large number of these individuals are children, senior citizens, disabled adults, and the new face of hunger - individuals who have lost their jobs and are having problems making ends meet. Summertime is typically one of the most challenging times for food banks in Virginia, especially with the number of children who are out of school and do not have access to before and after school feeding programs.
In response to this urgent need, Governor Bob McDonnell, The Virginia Chamber of Commerce and the Federation of Virginia Food Banks are joining efforts in 2012 to create the first Chamber of Commerce Challenge Food and Fund Drive -- a food and fund drive competition among all Virginia Chambers of Commerce, their member businesses, and state government offices. In this friendly competition, the Chamber or government office that raises the most pounds of food will be awarded a prestigious and highly coveted "Governor's Bowl" in the categories of small, medium, and large for Chamber offices and a special bowl for the top government office.
Register now for the Governor's Bowl.
How the Governor's Bowl works:
1. The competition is organized regionally, with the winning Chamber per category (small, medium, and large) receiving the "Governor's Bowl" for collecting the most money and food for its local food bank.
2. Drop-off sites for donations will be located at the Food Bank-96 Laurel Hill Road, Verona-or other designated locations.
3. Competition Rules:
- All participating businesses must be Chamber members
- Financial contributions will be converted to pounds, with $1 equaling four pounds
4. Register your Chamber or business!
Visit www.brafb.org for more information